About the Integrated Memory Clinic
- Usually individuals 55 years and over (50-55 in special circumstances) with new onset problems of memory and/or other cognitive problems
Who Do We See?
- Individuals requiring specialized memory assessment because of:
> Rapid onset
> Suspected early onset dementia
> Unusual/Atypical presentations
> Complex presentations including other neurological conditions
> Opinion regarding ability to drive
> Advice in treatment issues relating to probable dementia
- Referrals should come directly from family doctors or other medical specialists in consultation with the family physician.
The Integrated Memory Clinic service is a collaboration between will three clinical streams; Geriatric Memory, Seniors Mental Health and Neurology. It provides access to an interprofessional team involving medicine, nursing, neuropsychology, social work, neuropsychiatry, and occupational therapy.
Dr. John Puxty ~ Geriatrician
Dr. Pradeep Arya ~ Geriatric Psychiatrist
Dr. Stephen Ryan ~ Neurologist
Preparing for the Clinic
It is very important that a family member or friend who is familiar with your memory concerns accompany you to the clinic. We recommend you not to drive yourself to the clinic.
- Please plan to be at the registration desk at least 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- Please bring a list of all medications including non-prescribed medications.
- Plan if you are a new patient to the clinic on at least a 2 hour appointment. Most follow up visits are shorter (30-60 minutes).
What Can You Expect?
After you register for the clinic you will be guided to the clinic area where you will be met by one of the nurses who will check your weight, pulse and blood pressure.
Soon after this you will be shown to a clinic room where background information about your memory issues will be confirmed before starting some tests of your memory. While you are doing this we will usually also ask your family member or friend to complete a questionnaire about some of their observations about you.
Once the memory testing is complete you will meet with one of our doctors (this may a resident or one of the specialists). They will ask further questions about your memory concerns, previous medical history, related family history, medication use and lifestyle. This is followed by a comprehensive physical examination to guide them in making a diagnosis and identifying reversible factors. It may be necessary to organize additional blood tests or brain imaging studies during or after the clinic.
The team will share with you the results of their preliminary assessment and discuss possible diagnoses and next steps including making recommendations about ways in which you can improve your function. In most instances a follow up appointment will be required to confirm preliminary diagnosis and treatment plans
Where to Go?
The Integrated Memory Clinic is based at Providence Care Hospital, 752 King St. West, Kingston, K7L 4X3.
It normally operates on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.