Peterborough, Curve Lake and Hiawatha First Nations, City and County of
Name of Committee: Age-friendly Peterborough
Population: 215,293 (2021)
- Website: www.peterborough.ca/aging
- Email: Jayne Culbert (Age-Friendly Coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Municipal core funding
- Ontario Trillium Foundation
- United Way of Peterborough and District
This profile was updated in July 2023.
Age-Friendly Program Description
Age-friendly Peterborough completed the Age-friendly Peterborough Community Action Plan in 2017. All local government councils have formally adopted the Plan (City of Peterborough, County of Peterborough, 8 Townships, Curve Lake First Nation and Hiawatha First Nation). The Plan combines the 8 WHO domains into 4 goals which include:
- Goal 1: Older adults’ basic needs are met.
- Goal 2: Older adults are able to get around the community.
- Goal 3: Older adults are supported to build and maintain relationships.
- Goal 4: Older adults have the opportunity to learn, grow, and contribute.
Each of these goals is linked to over 140 actions in the Plan that were created as a result of the community consultations process and needs assessment process undertaken to create the Plan.
After a governance review in 2017, the Age-friendly Peterborough Advisory Committee (AFPAC) was created to implement the Plan and serve as an advisory committee to local councils. AFPAC is comprised of 4 Working Groups dedicated to achieving the 4 goals outlined in the Plan. Each of these Working Groups is actively implementing projects that touch on all 8 WHO domains.
Current and Completed AFC Projects, Programs and Initiatives
Outdoor Spaces and Public Buildings
- Walkability Assessments
- Rural Transportation Project
- Transit Training Program for seniors to hold workshops
- Housing and Health Navigation Study
- HomeShare Canada
- Recreation and Leisure Study
- Neighbour for Neighbour (N4N assists seniors in the neighbourhood)
- Seniors Centre Without Walls
- Seniors Connector Program
Respect & Social Inclusion
- Age-Friendly Business Program
- It’s Not Right Elder Abuse Prevention Education
- Age-Friendly Program Ambassadors
- Social Isolation to Social Inclusion
- Promoting Volunteerism
Communication & Information
- Seniors Showcase
- Summit on Aging (Annual conference)
- Be Prepared (binders and workshops)
- Aging Well Workshop Series
- Virtual Service Directory