Ontario AFC Interactive Maps
The Age-Friendly Communities (AFCs) interactive maps were created to identify and present the age-friendly processes and initiatives being implemented across Ontario. These maps focus on different aspects and examples of the great work happening in communities of different sizes and types to illustrate successful initiatives and opportunities for collaboration.
Both maps are updated on a regular basis and include information about current AFCs, age-friendly programs and projects, and organizations/agencies related to age-friendly principles. Click here for more information about age-friendly domains/dimensions.
To access the maps, please click on the links below the map descriptions.
MAP 1: ONTARIO AFCs BY DOMAIN
This map features 9 layers and provides information about the names and locations of the AFCs currently active in Ontario and the age-friendly programs and initiatives currently implemented in Ontario. Below is a list of the different layers of the map:
- Current AFCs: Name and location of active AFCs in Ontario. Each AFC is categorized based on population size and presented as a colour-coded icon. See Table 1 below for a legend. Click on an icon to view the community name, population size, and link to the community profile.
- AFC Initiatives by Domain – The following layers will show Ontario communities that have programs, projects, services or initiatives specific to one of the following AFC domains. Click on the icon to view the community name, descriptive title of the initiative, and a link to the community profile featuring more information. AFC Domains:
- Outdoor Spaces & Public Buildings
- Social Participation
- Respect and Social Inclusion
- Civic Participation and Employment
- Communication and Information
- Community Support and Health Services
MAP 2: ONTARIO AFCS AND AGENCIES
This map features 4 layers and provides information about the names and locations of the AFCs currently active in Ontario, and the different agencies/organizations related to age-friendly principles. We encourage communities to leverage these local partnerships and assets to strengthen their efforts. Below is a list of the different layers of the map:
- Current AFCs: Name and location of active AFCs in Ontario (last updated July 2018). Each AFC is categorized based on population size and presented as a colour-coded icon. See Table 1 below for a legend. Click on an icon to view the community name, population size, and link to the community profile.
- Seniors Active Living Centre (SALC): SALC locations across Ontario. Click on the icon to view SALC name, address, and a link to their website for more information.
- Public Health Units: Name and location of the 35 health units in Ontario. Click on the icon to view health unit name, address, and a link to the health unit website for more information.
- Ontario Universities: Name and location of the 22 universities in Ontario. Click on the icon to view university name, location, and a link to the university website for more information.
USING THE MAPS
To add or remove map layers: Select and deselect map layers to view different information at one time by clicking on the checkbox beside the layer title (for example ‘Current AFCs’). Note that if a community has initiatives in multiple domains, the icons will layer on top of each other. Deselect layers to view icons underneath for a particular community.
Zooming in/out: Use the plus (+) and minus (-) icons at the bottom left hand corner of the map.
Accessing more information: To view more information about a community or featured icon, click on the icon and a text box will appear on the left hand side of the screen displaying more information and links to related websites. When viewing a text box, simply click the arrow at the top left hand side of the text box to go back to the different layers of the map.
*Note: If a community is currently implementing more than one initiative in different AFC domains, then the icons will automatically layer on top of each other making it difficult to see the multiple icons. Deselect map layers to view the icons and initiatives one at a time for a particular community.
For more information or to update map content, please contact Sarah Webster, the Ontario Age-Friendly Communities Outreach Program Knowledge Broker at firstname.lastname@example.org
Table 1: AFC Population Size Legend
Statistics Canada, 2015