Elliot Lake, City of
Name of Committee: N/A
- Website: www.elliotlake.ca/en/our-community/age-friendly-elliot-lake.aspx
- Email: Kristine Doyle email@example.com
- Municipal core funding
This profile was updated February 2020.
Age-Friendly Program Description
After holding focus group sessions surrounding the 8 areas of excellence, a community based survey was deployed to Elliot Lake residents, the results were reviewed and analyzed in partnership with the Northern Ontario School of Medicine, and an Age Friendly Action Plan working group was formed with a City staff member and volunteer members to create the Age Friendly Elliot Lake Action Plan. The City of Elliot Lake’s Age Friendly Action Plan was completed and approved by municipal Council in April 2017.
Since 2017, over half of the action items from the plan have either been completed or are being looked at or worked on currently.
As of 2018, the City has been adopted into the World Health Organizations Global Network for Age-Friendly Cities and Communities.
The City’s current focus is creating a new accessibility plan that looks at the community as a whole and is the next step in creating an inclusive, accessible age friendly community, while also completing the action items in the age friendly plan.
Current and Completed AFC Projects, Programs and Initiatives
Outdoor Spaces and Public Buildings
- Facility Accessibility (Review accessibility of facilities to meet or exceed AODA and building code)
- Improving Way Finding (Update signage, label trails within community, identify premium trails that are accessible and identify Age-Friendly trails within city limits)
- Waterfront Accessibility (Evaluate and improve accessibility of waterfront areas including accessibility of docks and paths for water access)
- Park Equipment (Equipment can be used by those with varying needs and abilities, including special needs)
- Review of Public Transit Service (Review schedule, hours, routes, feasibility of Sunday service, current accessible transit)
- Accessible Multi-Use Complex (Explore opportunities to merge facilities and renew them under a new fully accessible, barrier free multi-use complex that offers Age-Friendly programming aimed at healthy active living)
- Continue to support and maintain Arts and Culture in Elliot Lake
Respect & Social Inclusion
- Celebrate Seniors (Recognize Seniors Day (October 1) and Month (June) annually and have City Council make a proclamation)
Communication & Information
- Community Guide (listings of clubs, organizations, businesses, medical information, schools, churches, housing, etc.)
- Website Accessibility (Review and update City website to make it more user friendly and accessible)
Community Support & Health Services
- Promote and support Health and Wellness (ie. Workshops)
- Navigating the Health System (Develop an educational series on how to navigate the healthcare system)
- Age-Friendly Elliot Lake Final Report and Action Plan (English | French)
- Age-Friendly Progress Checklist