St.-Charles, Municipality of
Name of Committee: St.-Charles Age-Friendly Advisory Committee
Population: 1,357 (2021)
- Email: Richard Lafleur (Co-chair / Past President of Club d’Âge d’Or Alidor) email@example.com
- Email: Gisèle Henderson (Co-chair / Registered Nurse, Public Health Sudbury & Districts, Sudbury East District Office) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email: Denis Turcot (Chief Administrative Officer, Municipality of St.-Charles) email@example.com
- Ontario Trillium Foundation Grant
- Main street revitalization funding – AMO (deadline –March 2020)
- 2018 Enabling Accessibility funds for small projects – Community Accessibility Stream
- 2018 -2023 MTO Community Transportation Grant Program – $500,000.00
This profile was updated in July 2023.
Age-Friendly Program Description
The St.-Charles Age-Friendly Advisory committee members includes representation from health services, senior support organizations, senior social club services, municipal council and public at large. Supportive committees include the Sudbury East Safety Coalition and the Sudbury East Community Drug Strategy committee. The Terms of Reference, approved by Council whereby the committee members are re-assigned and/or elected every two years and due on November 2019. Upon inauguration of the new Council, letters of interest from the current membership are sought for the re-appointment to the committee by December 7, 2018
On March 26, 2018, the Municipality of St.-Charles received the “Ontario Age-Friendly Community (AFC) Recognition Award” This award has been established to celebrate the accomplishments of Ontario communities that are striving to become age-friendly and to show case promising practices across the province.
The St.-Charles Age-Friendly Advisory Committee has been reviewing, implementing, planning, evaluating and prioritizing many items from the age-friendly action plan. Priorities for 2018 included transportation, communication, information, community support and health services age-friendly dimensions. Please see details below of various projects.
The St.-Charles Age-Friendly Advisory Committee has assisted with grant application and support letters for activities such as the local church renovation accessibility proposal, the municipality’s website AODA friendly development, St.-Charles Family Water Park. Currently, awaiting outcomes.
In 2018, the Committee provided Council with suggestions on the implementation of the transportation grant and projects for the AMO revitalization grant (built environment, sidewalks). On November 15, 2018 members participated in the St.-Charles Municipality Official plan visioning session.
Current and Completed AFC Projects, Programs and Initiatives
- Community Transportation Program (Vehicle and a process for non-urgent medical appointment for 3 municipalities with the St.-Charles Municipality as lead. MTO Community Transportation Grant Program application approved; awaiting letter of agreement not received yet).
Respect & Social Inclusion
- 2017 and 2018 International Women’s Day (Avg. 220 participants at each event)
Communication & Information
- Age-Friendly Expo (Free public event provided an opportunity for seniors and their families to learn more about age-friendly communities and the services and opportunities offered by local organizations; and assisted the Committee gain insight into the needs to be addressed in the Age-Friendly Community Action Plan)
Community Support & Health Services
- Club d’Âge d’Or Alidor Special Event Featuring The Sudbury Rising Stars (Five skits were performed and special opioids/Naloxone interview with the OPP, Pharmacist and Public Health Nurse was held and information provided to the audience. In addition over 100 Medications Clean out kits provided. Approximately 140 attendees).