Wawa, Municipality of
Name of Committee: Municipal Age-Friendly Wawa Committee
Population: 2,705 (2021)
- Municipal Core Funding
- Municipal one-time funding
- Enabling Accessibility Grant – Small Capital Grant
- Ministry of Northern Development and Mines (Provided support for Housing Needs Assessment)
This profile was updated in July 2023.
Age-Friendly Program Description
The AFC work is led by a municipal committee of council and supported by the Economic Development Corporation staff, who do the organizing of meetings and activities. The Municipal Age-Friendly Wawa Committee meets quarterly.
The Wawa Age-Friendly Plan was completed in 2016 and current efforts are focused on implementation of three key projects:
- Accessing funding and hiring a Seniors’ Support Navigator
- Implementing the recommendations of a recently completed Seniors’ Housing Needs Assessment Study which included building 15 units
- Improving the accessibility in public buildings which include accessing funding support to make the Wawa Legion and Municipal Buildings Barrier-Free.
Current and Completed AFC Projects, Programs and Initiatives
- Seniors Housing Needs Assessment Study – Completed March 2017
- Tea & Talk Program (Monthly get-togethers with educational component)
- Senior’s Drop-In Centre – Upgraded Social Area
Respect & Social Inclusion
- Age-Friendly Businesses – Self-Assessment
Community Support & Health Services
- Falls Prevention Exercise Classes (At Wawa Family Health Team – inc. Stand-Up, Chair Based and Minds in Motion)
- Age-Friendly Wawa Needs Assessment and Action Plan