Caledon, Town of
Name of Committee:
Age-Friendly Task Force – Committee of Council (Council to be elected end of 2022 for start of 4 year term in 2023)
- Est. 2022 population: 87,000
- 2021 Population 76,581 (as per 2021 census)
- Forecasted to reach over 108,000 by 2031
- Est. 30% of the total population will be over the age of 55 by 2031
Katie Sawyers, (She/Her)
Coordinator Age-Friendly | Age-Friendly Project Lead
Customer Service and Communications
Office of the CAO
Office: 905.584.2272 x 4106
Municipal Core Funding
This profile was updated in October 2022.
Age-Friendly Program Description
The Town of Caledon has been working towards becoming an Age-Friendly Community since the implementation of the Adult 55+ Strategic Plan in 2015. This plan outlined the first of many steps towards Caledon providing the supports and resources required for residents to age-in place. In 2020 the Town approved funding to hire a consultant to continue the development of the Adult 55+ Strategic Plan and transition the deliverables into an Age-Friendly Action Plan. The Age-Friendly Caledon Action Plan (the Plan) was developed and approved by council in May of 2021. The Plan identifies a series of strategic directions and activities that Caledon will be prioritizing to support and encouraging becoming a community that is inclusive, respectful, and accessible to all ages and abilities.
Since May 2021 the Plan has been in the implementation stage of development. Annual progress reports will be developed to record advancement of the eight dimensions and forty-five deliverables of the Plan.
Current and Completed AFC Projects, Programs and Initiatives
Outdoor Spaces and Public Buildings
Snow Removal Financial Assistance Program – www.caledon.ca/snowremoval – new for 2022, snow removal grant program for 65+ and persons with disability to support snow removal during winter months.
- Caledon Community Services specialized and community transportation services
- Caledon Station – outreach and development for potential GO Transit station in Caledon.
- Online resource of Transportation options available for Caledon Residents.
- Caledon 55+ Transportation Resource Guide
- Affordable Housing Strategy (2021) – Building on the Town of Caledon’s Housing Study (2017), Age-Friendly Planning Study (2017) and Region of Peel’s Housing Strategy (2018).
- Currently partnering with the Region of Peel to pilot the Peel HomeShare program in Caledon, Brampton and Mississauga.
- Participation in the Region of Peel’s “Peel Solution Lab” – CMHA funded project to investigate affordable housing solutions for older adults living in peel.
- Advocated at the 2021 AMO conference for the advancement of policies and programs that support building more affordable housing options. (Media Release)
- Online 55+ housing resources available for public access on the Town of Caledon’s 55+ Page.
- Caledon Seniors Centre – Seniors Without Walls Program; Satellite Program Expansion; Rotary Place Building Expansion.
- Deepening Community – Palgrave United Community Kitchen – New Horizons for Seniors funding for new program in Palgrave.
- Fall Prevention – Home and Community Care – ongoing partnership with H&CC to offer six specialized fall prevention fitness classes.
- “Connecting Together” series on Seniors Social Isolation hosted by the Region of Peel in June 2021 – sessions 1-5 resources available.
Civic Participation & Employment
- Development of “Health and Wellness Ambassadors” volunteer program to support outreach, engagement, and information sharing with older adults.
- Participation in the new Peel Council on Aging (PCoA) roundtables – https://www.facebook.com/PeelCouncilonAging
Communication & Information
- Adult 55+ Website and online resources
- Monthly eNewsletter developed and launched in September 2021 for local AFC news and information sharing.
- Promotion of 211 supports and resources through municipal resources.
- Know who to call informational rack card – translated into 7 different languages and distributed throughout Caledon and Area.
- Ongoing involvement in the Region of Peel’s Community Response Table to increase advocacy and awareness for Caledon.
- Municipal and Regional Table
- Seniors Sub-Group Table
- Anti-Black Racism and Systemic Discrimination Table
- Celebrate Annual Seniors Month in June with various low-cost to free activities throughout the month
- Annual Celebration of Internation Day of Older Persons- Annual Age-Friendly Expo held in Fall close to the date.
Community Support & Health Services
- Worked with the Region of Peel on the COVID-19 Mass Vaccination Planning Team for Older Adults.
- Ageing-Well in Caledon Dufferin Collaborative – https://www.awicd.org/
- A network of community agencies and organizations focusing on the empowerment and well-being of older adults in Caledon and Dufferin
- Supporting increased development of Caregiver support programs and resources.
- Caregiver in the Hills – Hills of Headwaters Ontario Health Team
- Building Caregiver Capacity – Region of Peel
Respect & Social Inclusion
- Involvement in a Staff Roundtable with the Town of Caledon to support DEI deliverables
- Ongoing training and community engagement with DEI-related supports
- Developed a speaker series, “Let’s Talk Caledon,” held in Fall 2022, to focus on and start a conversation about Cultural Competency, 2SLGBTQQIAA Older Adults, and Aging Well.