Caledon, Town of
Name of Committee:
Seniors Task Force – Committee of Council
Est. 2021 population: 87,000
Forecasted to reach over 108,000 by 2031
Est. 30% of total population over the age of 55 by 2031
Katie Sawyers, BASoc, SSW (She/Her)
Adult 55+ Coordinator | Age-Friendly Project Lead
Customer Service and Communications
Office of the CAO
Office: 905.584.2272 x 4106
Municipal Core Funding
This profile was updated October 2021.
Age-Friendly Program Description
The Town of Caledon has been working towards becoming an Age-Friendly Community since the implementation of the Adult 55+ Strategic Plan in 2015. This plan outlined the first of many steps towards Caledon providing the supports and resources required for residents to age-in place. In 2020 the Town approved funding to hire a consultant to continue the development of the Adult 55+ Strategic Plan and transition the deliverables into an Age-Friendly Action Plan. The Age-Friendly Caledon Action Plan (the Plan) was developed and approved by council in May of 2021. The Plan identifies a series of strategic directions and activities that Caledon will be prioritizing to support and encouraging becoming a community that is inclusive, respectful, and accessible to all ages and abilities.
Since May 2021 the Plan has been in the implementation stage of development. Annual progress reports will be developed to record advancement of the eight dimensions and forty-five deliverables of the Plan.
Current and Completed AFC Projects, Programs and Initiatives
Outdoor Spaces and Public Buildings
- West Bolton SNAP (Sustainable Neighbourhood Action Plan) project in partnership with the TRCA and Region of Peel.
- Promotion of Snow Angels Canada “experiment in kindness” third party volunteer snow removal platform.
- Caledon Community Services specialized and community transportation services
- Caledon Station – outreach and development for potential GO Transit station in Caledon.
- Online resource of Transportation options available for Caledon Residents.
- Caledon 55+ Transportation Resource Guide
- Affordable Housing Strategy (2021) – Building on the Town of Caledon’s Housing Study (2017), Age-Friendly Planning Study (2017) and Region of Peel’s Housing Strategy (2018).
- Currently partnering with the Region of Peel to pilot the Peel HomeShare program in Caledon, Brampton and Mississauga.
- Participation in the Region of Peel’s “Peel Solution Lab” – CMHA funded project to investigate affordable housing solutions for older adults living in peel.
- Advocated at the 2021 AMO conference for the advancement of policies and programs that support building more affordable housing options. (Media Release)
- Online 55+ housing resources available for public access on the Town of Caledon’s 55+ Page.
- Caledon Seniors Centre – Seniors Without Walls Program; Satellite Program Expansion; Rotary Place Building Expansion.
- Deepening Community – Palgrave United Community Kitchen – New Horizons for Seniors funding for new program in Palgrave.
- Fall Prevention – Home and Community Care – ongoing partnership with H&CC to offer six specialized fall prevention fitness classes.
- “Connecting Together” series on Seniors Social Isolation hosted by the Region of Peel in June 2021 – sessions 1-5 resources available
Civic Participation & Employment
- Participation in the Age-Friendly Business working group with the Southern Ontario Age-Friendly Network.
Communication & Information
- Adult 55+ Website and online resources
- Monthly eNewsletter developed and launched September 2021 for local AFC news and information sharing.
- Promotion of 211 supports and resources through municipal resources.
- Know who to call informational rack card – translated into 7 different languages and distributed throughout Caledon and Area.
- Ongoing involvement in the Region of Peel’s Community Response Table to increase advocacy and awareness for Caledon.
- Municipal and Regional Table
- Seniors Sub-Group Table
- Anti-Black Racism and Systemic Discrimination Table
- Annual Seniors Month Celebrations – Seniors Month 2021 – over 500 “seniors month swag bags” delivered to residents with information and free giveaways.
- Annual International Day of Older Persons Celebrations – International Day of Older Persons 2021 – hosted Classic Movie night in Celebration.
Community Support & Health Services
- Worked with the Region of Peel on the COVID-19 Mass Vaccination Planning Team for Older Adults.
- Ageing-Well in Caledon Dufferin Collaborative –
- 30 social services in the Caledon and Dufferin area meet bi-monthly to work collaboratively on the programs and supports for older residents.
- Supporting increased development of Caregiver support programs and resources.
- Caregiver in the Hills – Hills of Headwaters Ontario Health Team
- Building Caregiver Capacity – Region of Peel
Respect & Social Inclusion
- Town of Caledon currently working with consultants in development of a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy and request for staff representative for 2022.