Pelham, Town of
Name of Committee: Pelham Senior’s Advisory Committee (PSAC)
- Website: www.pelham.ca/en/about-us/Pelham-Senior_s-Advisory-Committee.aspx
- Email: Sharon Cook email@example.com
- New Horizons Grant
- Municipal Core Funding
- Ontario Trillium Foundation Grant
- Federal Funding (related to supporting”Active” programming)
This profile was updated September 2018.
Age-Friendly Program Description
Members of the municipal Pelham Senior’s Advisory Committee (PSAC) are appointed by and report to the Mayor and Town Council. PSAC consists of volunteer members, a liaison Councilor and administrative support by the Deputy Clerk.
The following are examples of the planning and implementation of community and regional based projects, as well as PSAC’s focus in 2018 and 2019 on practical opportunities for “Staying Active”.
Goals Priorities Initiatives for 2018
- About Us (https://www.pelham.ca/en/about-us/Pelham-Senior_s-Advisory-Committee.aspx)
- Grand opening of Meridian Community Centre, September 14 & 15th. Involved in display re: PSAC Goals and related programming in partnership with Vickie vanRavenswaay, Director of Recreation, Culture and Wellness and Holly Willford, Deputy Clerk, Clerk’s Department.
- Meridian Community Centre is now designated as a Seniors Active Living Centre
- Seniors’ Fair, September 25th, Meridian Community Centre. Involved in planning and implementing display re PSAC Goals and related programming in partnership with Vickie vanRavenswaay, Director of Recreation, Culture and Wellness
- Prepared template for Forum for Local Municipal Seniors and Age-Friendly Advisory Committee Leaders in Niagara June 26, 2018
- Focus on introducing older adults to opportunities for “Staying Active” which are available in the new Meridian Community Centre. One example will be a session “Let’s Start Walking”, in which older adults will be introduced to the walking track and alternative spaces at the Centre.
- Another focus is to continue to strengthen our partnership with Age-Friendly Niagara Network, including possible Forum in February 2019
- Planning includes being responsive to requirements of being a member of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Current and Completed AFC Projects, Programs and Initiatives
- Older Adults/Community Services Meridian Community Centre (Provided input to Architectural Design and Advisory Committee)
Community Support & Health Services
- Aging Well in Pelham (Regular events at the new Meridian Community Centre to 1) engage residents of Pelham in topics relevant to seniors through discussion and sharing of information and resources and 2) raise awareness of the Pelham Senior Advisory Committee and its mandate)
- Staying Active Fair (Focused on physical activities, social activities and nutrition and wellness)