Orillia, City of
Name of Committee: Age-Friendly Orillia Advisory Committee
Population: 33,411 (2021)
No core funding; short-term project-specific Community and Municipal funding support and successful grant applications (e.g., Ministry of Seniors and Accessibility Inclusive Communities Grant)
This profile was updated in July 2023.
Age-Friendly Program Description
To work together with municipal government and community partners (local clubs, organizations, businesses, citizens) to optimize opportunities to create an age-friendly community. We are currently planning to make Orillia more age-friendly by finalizing an Action and Implementation Plan in partnership with the City of Orillia and with the assistance of a consultant.
Current and Completed AFC Projects, Programs and Initiatives
- Provided input into the County Orillia Community Hub Project [https://www.simcoe.ca/countyorilliacampus]
Communication and Information
- Regularly post age-friendly items to Facebook account @AFOrillia. Activities and progress on promoting Orillia as an age-friendly community are posted to our website at agefriendlyorillia.ca.
- Orillia Seniors News Line – partnered with Information Orillia on a grant to hire a program coordinator to fully implement a narrated newsline that can be accessed daily by phone
- Promote age-friendly activities hosted by community partners (e.g., City’s Seniors at Play and Silver Sneakers programs)
Outdoor Spaces and Public Buildings
- Provided feedback to City Council on design options from an age-friendly perspective related to the redevelopment of Couchiching Beach Park
Community Support and Health Services
- In partnership with the City, distributed two Isolation Self assessment tools during Covid isolation periods
Civic Participation and Employment
- Volunteer Job Fair