Behavioural Supports Online Collaborative Learning Portal
The Centre for Studies in Aging & Health was commissioned to develop a Behavioural Supports Online Collaborative Learning Portal (BSOCLP) targeting members of Mobile Resource Teams (MRT) and Long-Term Care (LTC) Homes actively engaged within the South East Local Health Integration Network’s (SELHIN) Behavioural Supports Ontario Program. Visit www.sageducation.ca to view course description.
The BSOCLP provides a unique, customized method of accessing information and decision-supports, a learning resource library, a practice-based reflections repository and online tools that support collaborative team learning. It augments the capacity for collaborative education and training and ensures ready access to information and decision-support resources. The BSOCLP also supports the "just-in-time" education activities of the BSO Capacity Building Roadmap for MRTs and direct care providers within the 36 LTC Homes of the South East Local Health Integration Network (SELHIN).
The following general overall outcomes were demonstrated using the formal evaluation protocol of the MRT Learning
- Enhanced capacity to support BSO Health Human Resources Core Competencies regarding Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices changes reported by the participants, assessed through pre-and post-questionnaires
- Timely and ready access of the assessment tools and documentation resources by the MRT and LTC participants
- Active engagement in online learning and collaboration by MRTs and LTC participants
- The Collaborative Learning Portal and associated resources were assessed as value-added by learners and the facilitator and were seen to be supportive of present and future BSO Capacity Building activities
- Creation of a series of new online learning resources linked to topics of: Brain and Behaviour, Dementia, Delirium, Depression, PIECES™ 3-Question Template, Pharmacological and Non-Pharmacological Treatment of Dementia, Conducting Resident History, Supportive design in Dementia and Effective Communication Skills
- Development of the collaborative learning module "Effective team-based Person-centred Care for Responsive Behaviours"
- Behavioural Supports Ontario
- Hastings Centennial Manor, Bancroft
- Rideaucrest Home, Kingston
- St. Lawrence Lodge, Brockville
- Expand the delivery of the collaborative learning module "Effective team-based Person-centred Care for Responsive Behaviours"
- Condense the course to 12-13 weeks with 3 core segments
- Opportunity to engage use of webcasting to augment support and feedback to teams
- Offer course to all MRT staff and LTC sites in South East Ontario within 3-4 offerings of the course in next 18 months