Depression is a feeling of sadness that lasts for many weeks, months or years. Depression can affect someone’s thoughts, feelings, physical health and behaviors. It interferes with daily activities and can stop someone from eating, sleeping and enjoying life. Depression is a medical condition that requires medical attention — just like diabetes, high blood pressure or heart disease. It is not a normal part of aging.
What will you learn?
At the end of this overview on Depression you will be able to answer:
- What is depression?
- What increases the likelihood of developing depression?
- What are the signs of depression?
- How is depression different than grief?
- How is depression diagnosed?
- How is depression treated?
- How can someone prevent or cope with depression?