- This event has passed.
Webinar – AVOID Frailty: An Overview of Frailty and Strategies to Reduce Personal Risk
February 22, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pmFree
Description: Frailty is a medical condition of reduced function and health in older adults. Getting older doesn’t necessarily mean someone is frail, but it does increase the odds of developing multiple medical conditions and frailty.
Older adults and caregivers living in South East Ontario are invited to participate in this one-hour online education session to learn more about frailty and what can be done to reduce frailty.
By the end of this session you will:
- Understand what is meant by frailty in older age.
- Appreciate its importance.
- Be aware of common contributory factors.
- Be introduced to prevention and mitigation strategies.
This is the first session in a 5-part series titled AVOID Frailty: A Virtual Education Series for Older Adults. Future sessions will explore how the following strategies can reduce frailty:
- Vaccinations & Optimizing Medications
- Diet and Nutrition
This series is hosted by the Centre for Studies in Aging and Health in partnership with the Canadian Frailty Network and the University Hospitals Kingston Foundation.
Participants will have the opportunity to learn from Dr. John Puxty, a Geriatrician, Associate Professor and Chair of the Division of Geriatric Medicine at Queen’s University, and Director of the Centre for Studies in Aging and Health. He has a primary interest in promoting healthy aging and wellness for older adults through his ongoing research in aging, age friendly communities, memory disorders, and knowledge mobilization strategies.
Watch the webinar recording (YouTube):
Webinar resources include:
- Presentation handout (PDF)
- Webinar slide deck (PPT)
- What is Frailty? – The Canadian Frailty Network shares current evidence about frailty, the risk factors, and common features of frailty.
- AVOID Frailty – The Canadian Frailty Network provides information on what older adults can do to avoid frailty.
- AVOID Frailty Brochure – The Canadian Frailty Network offers this summary about how you can AVOID Frailty and take control!
- eFit Toolkit for Individuals & Caregivers: Frailty – The Centre for Studies in Aging and Health offers an educational lesson and related resources about frailty, risk factors, self-assessment, and how to avoid frailty.