Specialized Geriatric Services East
About Specialized Geriatric Services (SGS) East
What are Specialized Geriatric Services?
Specialized Geriatric Services (SGS) are those services focused on older adults living with complex health conditions including frailty, distinguished by greater specialization and the use of interprofessional teams and inter-organizational collaboration in service delivery. Specialized Geriatric Services:
- Prevent avoidable decline among this population
- Optimize functional ability, independence, and quality of life for this population and their caregivers
- Improve patient/client outcomes
- Enhance capacity of health care providers to assess and support this population
- Alleviate health system pressures through hospital diversion
- Regional Geriatric Program of Eastern Ontario (Champlain)
- Centre for Studies in Aging & Health at Providence Care (aka Regional Geriatric Program of South Eastern Ontario) (South East)
- Seniors Care Network (Central East)
- Provincial Geriatrics Leadership Ontario
- Others as invited
SGS East supports older adults with complex health conditions (including frailty) across Ontario Health (East) by:
- Establishing a structure that leads the planning, development and integration of a coordinated network of specialized geriatric services.
- Describing the role of SGS in an integrated system of care for older adults.
- Providing a forum for joint planning, QI, and evaluation activities to enable the operational and strategic leadership of all specialized geriatric services.
- Supporting geriatric capacity planning and workforce development in clinical, education/knowledge translation, research and evaluation across the East region.
SGS East is co-chaired by Rhonda Schwartz, Executive Director of the Seniors Care Network (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Sarah Webster, Manager of the Centre for Studies in Aging and Health at Providence Care, (email@example.com)
- Supporting Older Adults in Ontario Post-Covid: Recommendations for Transforming Care (Infographic | July 2022)
- Transforming Care: Supporting Older Adults Post-COVID in Ontario (Virtual Conference | October 19-21, 2021)